We are seeking an artist capable of creating a memorable and dynamic cover for Daishō. This will be a paid commission and once we have shortlisted a few people we shall discuss terms etc.
At this stage we are looking for names and links to work you have already done. Perhaps you have a blog or are featured on deviant art or similar sites. We’d also be happy to receive examples by email. Email your interest to: email@example.com with your details.
After that what we would like to see in the short term (i.e. 2-3 weeks) is a simple pencil sketch showing how you would tackle the following brief. It should feature the following:
- The legendary half-oni warrior monk Benkei and a noble Samurai, fighting back to back against a mob of … Bakemono, Oni, Tengu, Ninja or other villainous creatures.
- The scene should be set either in a Buddhist temple or a Village.
- The two heroes should be suitably and accurately armoured and armed. Benkei will have a naginata.
We are looking for an eye-catching, dynamic and exciting piece. Note that this sketch will remain your copyright and shall be returned whether it is used or not. A decent scan of the sketch is all we will need in the first place.
The finished, full cover version will have to eventually fit on a maximum of an A4 cover. It can be created in any medium that can be professionally scanned
- This is not an international bestseller but a small wargames publication so we will agree a reasonable price for the full colour version before you go ahead and put a lot of work into it.
- If we do agree then the piece will need to be delivered by mid-October at the latest.
- The original copyright for the work shall remain with the artist, what we shall be paying for is the right to use it for the book and in marketing materials supporting the book. The artist shall be fully credited in the book.
So break out your pencils and get sketching!